The town with its 560 permanent residents lies between Balatonszárszó and Balatonszemes. This ancient settlement has preserved its rural features almost entirely. It is first mentioned in the documents signed by King St. Leslie in 1082. In the 16th century it belonged to Tihany and probably had to pay taxes to both the Hungarian and the Turkish authorities.
Only four families survived the Turkish regime. The settlement, which by this time had already had a catholic and a reformed church became the property of the Piarist order in 1807. The characteristic buildings of the town are the four-story barn of the Piarist order and some typically folkloric style dwelling-houses. The exclusive resorts of the Hungarian Administration stretch along most of the lakeshore of Öszöd. A public beach and camping have been built at the remaining part. A cart road in a good condition leads to Teleki, a town to the south. The town s monument sanctuary of the Romanesque style burial-chapel was built in the 13th while its nave is Baroque style from the 18th century.